Monday, October 15, 2007

CARING FOR THE SHEEP

John 10:1+ I have deliberately left this reference “open ended” as John has recorded for us a number of the parables of Jesus, in this chapter of his record of the Gospel. In these, Jesus chose sheep and their care as examples of his care for his followers.

Sheep were very rare in the particular area where I lived as a child, but one farmer came to live on the farm that had been my grandfather’s. This man had a flock of sheep. I didn’t really know him, but there came a time when he wanted to move his herd from one field to another across the road. This early experience taught me my first lesson about sheep. They are difficult to drive anywhere. That was why he needed help . They tended to scatter wildly. Why? Because they are basically followers, not leaders. Money was short in those days, so my wage for my help was a tiny orphan lamb, that he did not expect to save anyway. We raised that lamb on a bottle. She grew and thrived, and she became attached to me and followed me everywhere. I am sure she would have happily slept in the house, if my other would have permitted any animal in her home. I named her “Lulabelle” after a very well known singer on radio WLS of Chicago at that time. That was my first introduction to sheep.

But the people of Palestine were well versed on the subject of sheep. Jesus used them to teach many things, saying, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth in not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbed up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.” John 10:1 Now here was my second lesson. Years later, I had the opportunity to examine closely the sheepfold near an African church where we had gone to conduct services and preach the gospel. The African people there had flocks of sheep and goats, so had constructed a sheepfold, a large circle of tree branches cut from the native thorn trees. These branches were engulfed with three inch thorns and they were stacked in a four or five foot high ring, thorns out, leaving only one narrow opening to give access. After being watered, the sheep were led into this ring where they were safe for the night. Only a very determined thief or robber would try to gain access over the sides!

“But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him, the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name and leadeth them out And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him for they know not the voice of strangers.” John 10:2-5

The shepherd would not need to enter the fold. He could open the door and call his sheep out by name. They all know his voice and they won’t respond to other voices. The other sheep will wait until their own shepherd calls them. They will follow him where ever he leads them.

Jesus, explained the parable saying, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth:” John 10:7-12.

No comments: