Saturday, February 6, 2010

FAITHFUL STEWARDSHIP

B. Mills

All Christians, whether we realized it or not, are given a stewardship. We have been entrusted with certain abilities and made responsible for their use. This is the meaning of the parable of the ruler who entrusted his belongings into the care to his servants and who then went or a long trip expecting them to care for his business. Each had been entrusted with money in proportion to their abilities. When the time of accounting came, he found that the first thre2 had invested wisely, but that the fourth, of whom he had expected the least, had simply hidden the money and gained nothing. His master was greatly displeased.

I remember, as a small boy, I was often sent to feed the chickens and gather the eggs As the sun set, I was also sent to close and secure the hen house, and early in the morning to open the door and let them out again. My brother, who was five years older than I, tended the animals in the barn, and milked the cows. Our responsibilities matched our capabilities. I also worked the garden, while my brother went to the fields.

Our Lord does not have the same tasks for us to do, but He has set a stewardship for each of us, and He does expect a willing and happy response to His trust.

Philippians 2:12-18 (King James Version)

12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; (Philippians 1:5,-6, Philippians 4:15, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Corinthians 7:15)

13 For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. (Romans 12:3, 1 Corinthians 12:6, 1 Corinthians 15:10, Hebrews13:21, Ephesians 1:5)

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: (1 Corinthians 10:10, 1 Peter 4:9)

15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; (Luke 1:5, Philippians 3:6, Mark 5:45, Ephesians 5:1, Deuteronomy 32:5, Acts 2:40, Matthew 5:14-16)

16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither labored in vain. (Philippians 1:6, Galatians 2:2, Isaiah 49:4, Galatians 4:11, 1 Timothy 3:5)

17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all. (2 Corinthians 12:15, 2 Timothy 4:6, Numbers 28:6-7, Romans 15:16)

18 For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.

No comments: